Are you wondering how to use your new Hello Disc? What better place for answers than Period Nirvana. I designed the Hello Disc with the team at Hello Period Co. to be the easiest and most accessible period product available.
Now that the Kickstarter is over and all backers have their shiny new disc on the way, it felt like a great time to share more guidance on this revolutionary period product. I had very specific goals in mind with this patent-pending double-loop tab. The Hello Disc inserts and is worn like every other reusable menstrual disc but the tab is the special sauce. You can choose which of the 4 ways you’d like to wear your Hello Disc, and there are almost infinite options for removal.
It’s all about the right combination that feels comfortable all day long and removals easily and without a bloody hand! The feedback is that Hello Disc is the easiest menstrual disc people have ever tried.
How to Insert and Remove Your Hello Disc
Boil your new disc before the first use. Why? Like all reusable menstrual products it’s a good idea to give them a good sterilizing. They’ve come from manufacturing facilities and were packed by hand. Try placing it inside of a whisk if you’re forgetful or set a timer on your phone – you don’t want to scorch your new product on the bottom of the pan!
Decide which of the 4 ways you want to wear your Hello Disc.
- Tucked – The tabs tuck underneath the disc and out of the way. Best for a low or average cervix and for sex/play time.
- Flipped – The bottom loop is looped through the top loop from behind. Best for an average cervix or if you don’t know your cervix height.
A note about the Flipped position – this is hands down my favorite way to wear Hello Disc. It works for most users and makes removal the easiest of all of the options. Unless you know your cervix is sky high I would try Hello Disc for the first time with the tab Flipped. If the tab isn’t comfortable in this position or if it’s still too long, then try other wear styles. Take if from someone who has tried almost every menstrual disc in the world – Flipped is amazing.
- Dropped – The length of the tab is ‘free’ and drops down. Best for a high cervix or those with reach/grip issues.
- Trimmed – The second loop is cut off. We don’t recommend cutting your entire tab off! Best for a low cervix or people who find the tab uncomfortable.
Insert your disc. If wearing it tucked, push the tab into the middle of the disc while folding. If wearing any other style you can simply fold it lengthwise.
Insert the disc angled towards your tailbone (the tab is the last to enter your body) and once it can’t be inserted any further, push the front edge of the disc up until it feels “locked” behind your pubic bone.
Until you are through the learning phase it’s recommended to wear a back-up liner or period underwear just in case.
When it’s time to remove your Hello Disc this is when it gets really exciting! The patent-pending double-loop tab is designed to make removals easier than other discs. No more fishing and clawing for your disc’s rim. As with other products, expect a learning curve while you find the style and angle of removal that works best for you. For each style of wear the most secure way to remove your disc is my placing a finger through the back of either loop. If you find it easier to put your finger through the front you can try this as well.
- Tucked – Place a single finger through the front of the loop or through the back, then pull your disc out.
- Flipped – Insert a finger and feel for the loop – it will likely be flush against the front of your vaginal canal. Reach through the back with a finger and begin to pull your disc out.
- Dropped – Pull the disc out using either loop. You may want to begin removal by pulling the closest loop, then switch your finger to the loop closest to the disc. The loop closest to the disc is the most secure.
- Trimmed – Insert a finger and feel for the loop – you can insert a finger through the loop then pull your disc out.
Allow the disc to drop backward away from you to prevent blood from spilling onto your fingers or hands.
Time to Enjoy!
Hello Disc can be worn by people of nearly all cervix heights, body sizes, and abilities. Thanks to being suction-free, it’s safe for IUD wearers and removal can be done with a single finger. Experiment with the different styles of wear and discover which removal method works best for you. Once mastered, you should find this the easiest reusable period product when it comes to removal and insertion. If you need more assistance visit the Hello Disc Guide with a collection of videos for how to use your disc on the Period Nirvana instagram or visit Hello Period Co.’s comprehensive Hello Disc FAQ.
Period.Shop has Hello Disc in stock now.